Select your target journal
An article may be rejected before peer review if it is outside the scope of the journal. Pick the right journal the first time with these tips:
- Get customized recommendations for your article from the IEEE Publication Recommender tool
- Conduct a keyword search on IEEE Xplore® Digital Library for a list of publications with similar content
- Check your reference list for related journals
- Ask for suggestions from colleagues and co-authors in your field
- Read the Aims & Scope of your potential target publications to ensure your article is a good fit; Aims & Scope can be found in the About tab of the journal homepage on IEEE Xplore
- Keep in mind that some publications only accept certain types of articles; a Letters publication accepts brief articles while a Transactions or Journal publication accepts full-length articles
As discussed on the Publish Original Research page, an article can be submitted to only one publication at a time.
Follow all submission guidelines
All IEEE journals provide submission guidelines in an “Information for Authors” document published in the journal or on a society’s website. To find the guidelines for your target journal, click on the About tab from the journal’s home page on IEEE Xplore and then click on Additional Information in the column on the left.
Failure to adhere to the guidelines presented in the Information for Authors can result in delayed processing of your submission, rejection without review, or errors in your published article. Following the publication’s guidelines will help streamline your article’s process through submission and peer review.
Submit your article
After checking that your article complies with the target journal’s submission guidelines, you are ready to submit. Click the orange Submit Your Manuscript button on the journal’s home page on IEEE Xplore to be taken to the journal’s online submission system, which will walk you through the submission process.